Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Naked and Famous- Punching In A Dream

The Naked and Famous are a five piece indie band hailing from New Zealand. The band is comprised of Thom Powers,Alisa Xayalith, Aaron Short, David Beadle and Jesse Wood. Their debut album “Passive Me, Aggressive You” was released on the “Somewhat Damaged” label during September 2010 (in New Zealand). On 6 December 2010, the BBC announced that The Naked and Famous had been nominated for the BBC’s Sound of 2011 poll. They were also named in NME's list of bands to watch out for in 2011 - I couldn't agree more!


Punching In A Dream is the third single off their debut album released on the Polydor label in the United Kingdom on December 21, 2010. Their indie pop sound is an elaborative combination of psychedelic guitars, modern indie synths, captivating melodies and a soaring chorus to top it all off.  Typically, I am not a fan of a female lead vocalist (strictly personal preference) but for some reason Alisa really engages me, her tone is so soothing and mellow that I just can't help but enjoy their sound. Her vocals soar on the chorus as she echoes; "Wait, I don't ever want to be here, Like punching in a dream breathing life into the nightmare." 


My verdict: My favorite band right now, without a doubt. Their whole album is fantastic, creative, original. I will be buying my ticket for May 4th and I honestly cannot recommend this quintet highly enough.


The band has announced performances at SXSW 2011 and will be touring alongside British Band Foals and Brooklyn's Freelance Whales starting April 10th in Vancouver, Canada BC with a performance on May 4th in New York City (Terminal 5). There album will also have a North American release date in March, 2011. 


From first listen this band screams MGMT, Passion Pit, Miami Horror - so all you guys who listen to these bands, This one is  a sure fire hit with you!!


Check them out here:  http://www.thenakedandfamous.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment